If your pet has a complex condition that requires advanced expertise for diagnosis and treatment, your primary care veterinarian will likely refer you to a specialist in veterinary internal medicine.
Board-certified specialists in this field have extensive knowledge of all the internal systems of your pet’s body, including the digestive system, heart and lungs, urinary system, and hematologic (blood) systems. Plus, internists diagnose and treat oncologic (cancerous), infectious, and immune-mediated diseases.
You and your family veterinarian can count on the board-certified internists at Long Island Veterinary Specialists to provide an accurate diagnosis, and customize or adjust treatment plans as appropriate to set your pet on the most effective path to recovery.
Internists are the puzzle solvers
The conditions our board-certified veterinary internists see include:
- Anemia and other blood-related disorders
- Bleeding disorders
- Coughing or breathing problems
- Endocrine (hormone) disorders including diabetes, adrenal tumors, and thyroid and parathyroid problems
- Gastrointestinal disorders including chronic or acute vomiting or diarrhea, esophageal problems, and inflammatory bowel disease
- Heart disease including cardiovascular, valvular and heart rhythm disorders
- Immune disorders
- Infectious disease including bacterial, viral, fungal and tick-borne diseases
- Kidney disease and other urinary disorders
- Liver disease
- Pancreatic disease
The internal medicine services LIVS offers
The services we offer are as varied as the diseases and conditions that pets may experience. Importantly, LIVS has invested in today’s most sophisticated diagnostic technologies, giving your pet access to timely, accurate diagnosis—and speeding the time to effective treatment.
Our advanced services include
- Bone marrow aspiration/biopsy
- Cardiovascular monitoring
- In-house laboratory for quick turnaround on blood testing
- Onsite video endoscopy
- Radioiodine therapy
- State-of-the-art diagnostic imaging
- Transfusion medicine
- 24-hour intensive care including continuous oxygen therapy, ventilator support, nutritional management
Internal Medicine Team
Joshua W. Tumulty
Jacqueline F. Gest
Internal Medicine Staff